End summer with something better than summer camp: a bedroom makeover! Not sure where to start? We have teenage bedroom ideas for small rooms, big rooms, little upgrades, and major makeovers—and everything in between! Best of all, you don’t need to be an interior designer to turn a teen’s room into their dream room!
Teen Bedroom Ideas
Are you ready to take on your own home improvement project? Try your hand at the bedroom designs, easy upgrades, and makeover ideas below for a major teen bedroom glow-up!
Your teen’s interests and favorites change — quickly. Instead of painting the entire room Show some personality with a personalized accent wall. Try one of these ideas:
- Grasscloth wall covering (great for a mini man cave).
- A fresh coat of paint: a bold solid color, stripes, or a geometric design—adjacent to white walls.
- Printed teens’ room wallpaper—peel and stick makes it easy!
- Wall murals painted just for (or by!) them
- A collage of favorite posters, magazine covers, record covers, etc.
- A gallery wall of framed photos and/or artwork
- Shiplap (channel Joanna Gaines for this one)
- Customized garland: twinkle lights, vertical strands of floral garland, photos secured on twine with tiny clothespins, etc
Fresh Bedding & Linens
Don’t want to break out the paint or let your kiddo go wild with decor? Let your teen pick out a new quilt or duvet cover, sheets, and bathroom towels. Whether they opt for a swath of color, pops of pattern, or a simple clean and chic look, this simple swap will make a major difference!
If your teen is growing fast, it’s probably time for a larger bed. Pick out a bed frame and headboard that enhance their new style. Consider the following options:
- A canopy bed with Bridgerton vibes.
- Light wood tones for a natural or boho teen room feel.
- Whitewashed wood for modern farmhouse style.
- Wrought iron for a vintage touch.
- Upholstered for a sophisticated look.
- Simple wood or metal for modern minimalism.
- A loft bed to add extra space for hangouts or hobbies.
Having a designated spot to study and do homework will help increase focus and productivity. Invest in a good desk, lighting, and supplies that meet their needs. Be sure to make organization easy to keep their work area clutter-free and their assignments in order (no homework-eating dogs here).
Create a cozy corner for your teen to curl up with a good book (and let’s face it…probably a good amount of Netflix, too).
- Build out a window seat with fun upholstery and accent pillows
- Add an accent rug and an armchair—or a hanging chair for whimsy—and a floor lamp or small pendant lamp for good lighting
- Pile up floor pillows and hang some string lights to create a vibe
Need teen hangout room ideas? Add cozy floor pillows, a settee, a hanging chair, or a bench where friends can pile in. Layer a plush accent rug to make the floor a cozy space, too.
In need of budding artist or teenage gamer bedroom ideas? Embrace hobbies and interests with these ideas:
- For the gamer: Add a gaming chair and a console for gaming devices. Decorate with video game posters.
- For the creative teen: Set up an easel or table for drawing, painting, modeling, or crafting. Showcase their creations using frames, shadow boxes or floating shelves.
- For the teenage yogi or sports star: Add a full-length mirror and easy-access storage for exercise equipment in one corner of the room.
- For the music lover: Sound-proof the room to allow uninhibited drum solos and trumpet tunes. Provide a full setup with a music stand, stool, etc. Decorate with favorite album covers and vintage concert posters.
Tips to Make a Makeover Easy (and Budget-Friendly)
Implement these five tips to save money, time, and peace of mind. Your endeavor will go as smoothly as any house project can.
Encourage a cohesive theme that stays on the neutral side—this will feel more adult and stand the test of time better than a funky theme. That being said, don’t squash your teen’s unique personality and style!
Buy quality basics.
Your teen’s taste and style will inevitably change. Purchasing quality basics — like dressers, desks, and headboards — in a neutral hue can help you save big in the long run. So avoid investing in expensive pieces that won’t adapt. Shop CORT Furniture Outlet for timeless furniture and decor at affordable prices.
Upcycle and D-I-Y.
Let your teen exercise their creative style (or enlist a friend) and make their own artwork. Upgrade existing furniture with paint, create your own decor vignettes, and do what you can with what you have. No need to throw out perfectly functional furniture. Keep what works and give it a glow-up! Think: repainting a bedside table, replacing dated drawer pulls with a trendy style, and swapping out the lampshades.
Embrace accent pieces.
Let your teen go wild with accent pieces like pillows, bedding, or lamps, that can be easily (and inexpensively) changed with their taste.
Set a budget…and stick to it!
Make a plan and do your research before you start. Knowing what you need for the room and having a general idea of costs will help you stick to your budget.
Find What You Need For A Teen Bedroom Makeover at CORT Furniture Outlet
Upgrade your teen’s bedroom with high-quality furniture and decor at budget prices by shopping at CORT Furniture Outlet. With same-day pick-up, you can get started on your dream room makeover today. Visit us in-store or online to browse our collection of new and used furniture and decor at up to 70% off original retail prices.